"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Saturday, February 23, 2013

Lemon Marmalade Extravaganza

When you have lemons ....make Marmalade!
(And use Meyer Lemons !)


A summer wedding prompted
 this marathon of Meyer Lemon Marmalade making 


The facts:
9 batches of marmalade to make 132 4 oz jars

Took 81 lemons= 9 lemons each batch
22.5 cups of sugar= 2.5 cups each batch
27 cups of water = 3 cups water each batch
We used the wonderful Pomona's Universal Pectin
and used only 5 or maybe 6 boxes total!
Follow their directions!!!
It's a wonderful pectin and I will never use any other.


and it really helps to have Chef Jay's kitchen available!


It took us a total of just 6.5 hours from start to finish
Notice please I am now allowing myself a beer! Whew!


Here's a photo of the marvelous pectin!
Used so little sugar compared to other
dextrose laden pectins- which made
our Marmalade much healthier and tastier.


So- where's the sunshine and lounging chairs????
Happy Weekend everyone!

Go here to see other Six Word Saturdays:
and go here for ShadowShotSundays:

17 comments:

  1. I notice the bottle of Liberty Ale - that no doubt helped in completing the 9 batches/132 jars. I have never had a lemon marmalade, but a toasted bagel seems the perfect accompaniment! Love your stove - the 10 burners now 6 with two griddles. I'd enjoy cooking with that :) Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, looks SO delicious!! Great captures for the day as well! Thank you, Kathe, for commenting on the post about my daughter!! Your kind words are so appreciated! We are all so very grateful that things went as well as they did!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would be nice sitting in one of those chairs in the sunlight with shadows all around us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:02 PM

    Great recipe post ~ sounds delish ~ great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had orange marmalade but never lemon. Must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pictures make my mouth water. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lemon marmalade sounds like a great experience for the taste buds! Love that last photo of chairs inviting some time to enjoy the beautiful sunlight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You lemon marmalade sounds really good. I like lemon curd too. Homemade is the best!!!

    We have your sunshine here in Texas.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my! Is it the time of year for Meyer's lemons? I've been waiting for it and I hope we get some out here in NM (rarely see it here). They are so very tasty and the marmalade is mouthwatering. Thanks for the share on the pectin too-good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were quite ambitious! That is a lot of marmalade! :)

    I seldom eat marmalade...and I have never had it made from lemons...but I think it sounds good! :)

    I love lemons!

    Happy Weekend!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky wedding guests!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had Lemon Marmalade but, boy, it sounds WONDERFUL..I love lemon ANYthing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6:18 AM

    Oh, yum! I love this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can remember my mother canning things when I was growing up. We lived on a farm and it's just what people did. Not so much now, so it's refreshing to see that some still do.

    Have a terrific day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hadn't heard of lemon marmalade. It sounds wonderful. All your recipes sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never had lemon marmalade! I must try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. okay...i am wondering how the marmalade correlates with a wedding? and it sounds like after 6 hours a beer was due...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will attempt to reply to each one. However, lately I have been getting "Unknown" comments that are linked to some sort of web page. I will never open this sort of comment and will immediately mark as spam. I am not interested in opening something that could be detrimental to my blog security etc. Never have enjoyed hackers! Thanks!