"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Thursday, February 21, 2013

The art of nesting


Looking at this random bunch of twigs
who could imagine how complex
and neatly woven the inside is.....


Voila!!
This nest was built by our local Stellar Jays
who raised 3 babies last summer.
When we repainted the exterior of
our home we had to remove it.
Hopefully they will build another this year.


And then here's this little cutie pie nest!
Not sure who the architect was-
it was about 3 inches or so across.
Forgot to use my ruler....


Have you ever found a birds nest or some other
animals home??

7 comments:

  1. They work so very hard to do this too. It's fun to watch them build their home.

    Have a terrific day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once found a wasp nest in our garage. I wasn't happy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:49 AM

    Isn't it incredible - with just their tiny beaks they create something so beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bird's nests!! I used to go search for them all the tmie as a little boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find nests all over my yard every year. I find them fascinating but always worry for the survival of the baby birds. My yard also has a lot of squirrels and such that like to attack the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing how birds just know how to build nests. Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much better than dove's nests. Doves are terrible nest builders, and we have some that routinely build in a bad spot on our house and the babies fall out and have to be taken to the wildlife refuge.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will attempt to reply to each one. However, lately I have been getting "Unknown" comments that are linked to some sort of web page. I will never open this sort of comment and will immediately mark as spam. I am not interested in opening something that could be detrimental to my blog security etc. Never have enjoyed hackers! Thanks!