"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Saturday, February 16, 2013

Company's coming - let's make meatloaf!


I never really liked meatloaf until I figured out how to
tweak the basic recipe. It's all about how it's prepared.
My recipe is below the ingredients collage.
Enjoy- bon appetit!
(if you are a vegetarian...I'm sorry...


Kathe's Famous Meatloaf

1 pound lean ground beef
3/4 pound Italian ground pork sausage
1/2 cup each chopped onion and celery
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1-2 Tablespoons of good ketchup
1 slice bread-preferably the heel
3 nice slices of bacon cut in half
Freshly ground pepper to taste

With your hands thoroughly mix
ground beef and sausage in a large bowl.
Put chopped onion, celery, egg and milk
in blender and blend until it's one consistency.
Add ketchup and torn up slice of bread and 
blend again until totally blended.
Pour this mixture over the meat
and with your hands mix this all up until
it is one consistency.  
Put all of this mixture into a loaf pan** 
and place the bacon slices on top
Add freshly ground black pepper to taste on top.
I don't use salt as there is usually enough with
the sausage and the bacon.

Bake at 350F for 1-to 1.5 hours depending on your oven.
I usually bake it close to 1.5 hours
About half way through the baking you will
want to take the loaf pan out and very carefully
drain off some of the accumulated fats and juices.
Serve with baked or mashed potatoes and a big salad.
YUM

**(the loaf pan I use is about 8.5 inches long..
I used to use it to bake bread.)  
PS the reason I have Russell in the ingredient collage
is because it's his favorite thing for dinner after
Garlic Spagetti.
For other Six Word Saturdays go here:

For other Shadow Shot Sundays go here:

16 comments:

  1. I love meatloaf with mashed potatoes and beef gravy. It's one of my favorite dishes and we rarely have it. I'm coming over.

    Have a fantastic day. Hugs. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to hate meatloaf. But over time, I've grown to love it. Funny how our taste changes over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love meatloaf. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently bought a meatloaf pan that has handles to lift the loaf out of the drippings to drain. I think it will be cool....but I have yet to use it! (:>) Thanks for the recipe!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds good. Thanks for sharing, Kathe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love meatloaf....I don't eat very much meat but I make exceptions for meatloaf. (Iknow..weird..what others like about steak...I like about ML) Your recipe sounds wonderful. Thanks...I will be trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know your meatloaf is wonderful, Kathe. The kind like Mom used to make !!! I am saving this post in my 'recipe' favorite.

    [Mom used a tad bit more hamburger and left the sausage out. She also spread her homemade ketchup over the top. I really liked the end pieces and generally was given both of them.]

    Thank you for the nice comment, yes I had been waiting years to find this book at a reasonable price. It was listed on my profile as a favorite way back from 2005.
    Jim's Six Words for the 16th
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a winner of a recipe.

    On a different note, be careful how much garlic you give pets -- garlic and onion can cause pets a type of anemia that can kill them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs. C. makes a fine meatloaf, but this one looks equally yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mimi- I would never give our cats or dogs (if we ever had any)anything BUT food specific for them-as then I avoid any food allergies etc, but also they aren't asking you to share your food....~:-)
    Stephen- you are such a diplomat! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do enjoy a good meat loaf! And so long since I have had one! My hubby's the cook, so I'll share this with him!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds yummy and I do love meat loaf! Gonna have to try this one!! Thanks, Kathe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love meatloaf and the making of the dish - I'm with you on the celery in meatloaf (the way mom made it :), but hold a minority view in the home so it stays out. The bread is nice as it binds it up - bread crumbs can be used although if too many go in, you can't get them out...Extraordinary comfort food that I have not tired of yet after 5 decades!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your meatloaf sounds delicious. I love meatloaf and may just have to give your recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the recipe. I, too, have been disappointed by meatloaf recipes. I like the idea of blending the onions and stuff. And the bacon on top! Sounds like a winner to me! I will try it soon.
    Hope you are having a wonderful day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  16. A busy kitchen.

    Catching up with Shadow Shot Sunday.
    Your comment is always appreciated !

    Shadow of Forgiveness

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will attempt to reply to each one. However, lately I have been getting "Unknown" comments that are linked to some sort of web page. I will never open this sort of comment and will immediately mark as spam. I am not interested in opening something that could be detrimental to my blog security etc. Never have enjoyed hackers! Thanks!