"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Friday, April 12, 2013

K is for Kale


K is for Kale

Home Harvest 2012

Survives frost
Steaming deliciously into soup
Soothing meal


close up of our Kale 2012


Kale is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, and rich in calcium. Kale is a source of two carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin.[3] Kale, as with broccoli and other brassicas, contains sulforaphane (particularly when chopped or minced), a chemical with potent anti-cancer properties.[4] Boiling decreases the level of sulforaphane; however, steaming, microwaving, or stir frying do not result in significant loss.[5] Along with other brassica vegetables, kale is also a source of indole-3-carbinol, a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and appears to block the growth of cancer cells.[6][7] Kale has been found to contain a group of resins known as bile acid sequestrants, which have been shown to lower cholesterol and decrease absorption of dietary fat. Steaming significantly increases these bile acid binding properties
~~~~~~~~~~~~
For other A-Z participants somersault over here:

8 comments:

  1. And it's good too.

    Have a terrific day and weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love kale! It's too bad my kids are so crazy about it...

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother is 88 and she cooks a pot of kale soup nearly every week. She just loves it; me, not too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! It's wonderful so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:51 PM

    I work at a vegetable market in the summer, and when my boss isn't looking, my best friend and I like to have kale fights. It makes a great nunchuck. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had Kale. I really need to eat more green things :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:22 AM

    Kale is very popular here- lots of different varities; tha looks like Cavelo Nero. I grow Red Russian, Curly Kale and Cavelo Nero.

    It's a lovely leafy veg/ steamed with garlic and onions.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will attempt to reply to each one. However, lately I have been getting "Unknown" comments that are linked to some sort of web page. I will never open this sort of comment and will immediately mark as spam. I am not interested in opening something that could be detrimental to my blog security etc. Never have enjoyed hackers! Thanks!