"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 14-a trip to Mitla


This morning we decided to go to Mitla. Russell got us to the
bus stop and off we went. This was after I got us going in the
wrong direction!
Mitla is different from Monte Alban. A lot of the ruins in Mitla
were destroyed by the Spanish to construct a church. Figures.
I could say more, but I’ll keep my mouth shut .
Anyhow, as you can see from the photos it is quite different.
There wasn’t a lot of information about the structures nor was
there a museum-so if one only has a short amount of time we
would recommend Monte Alban as the place to go. There is
a museum there and more information for the visitor.
I did enjoy the bus ride-the countryside is very dramatic and
the mountains are beautiful.
We discovered a tasty restaurant not too far from our B and B.
Russell had 7! lamb chops for $22 and I had a steak with au
gratin sweet potatoes garnished with crispy red onion slices.
Yum.

Jesus and Bugs Bunny will protect us

The altar of missed accidents

Dramatic landscape


On the way to Mitla


The bus dropped us off maybe 1/2 mile
from the Mitla ruins. These "cars"
are from India and are used
exclusively for transportation
within the city limits.

The conductor takes the money
and helps the driver back up
in tight situations

Church built on Zapotec buildings

Mitla ruins

Column for past roof

Close up of ornamental facade

Entry to interior rooms

More colomns
We had to walk up a steep staircase
to get here

Interior of room
I want to use this design for the
next quilt I make

Another room




Interior showing doorways to rooms


Another close up of facade


Exterior shot of ruins



This mother wanted me to talk English to
the young boy who is learning...he said
he was "too nervous" I told him nervous was a
great word to use!

Another interior shot-we had to practically
get on our hands and knees to get inside


Another exterior shot



We walked back to the bus stop
Mitla is very touristy

Abandoned church on top of ruins


Back on the bus-going past a cement factory


Had to stop for gas

Siesta time for La Senora



Las Dazantes Restaurante
tasty bites!

Wending our way home







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and will attempt to reply to each one. However, lately I have been getting "Unknown" comments that are linked to some sort of web page. I will never open this sort of comment and will immediately mark as spam. I am not interested in opening something that could be detrimental to my blog security etc. Never have enjoyed hackers! Thanks!