"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Friday, April 16, 2021

2021 A to Z Challenge! O is for the Original BLT Soup!


 Original BLT Soup  Serves 4

This is a soup for bacon lovers who are fans of the classic sandwich. BLT Soup has all of the ingredients of a BLT, crafted into a hearty soup. Makes a delicious lunch!

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil

4 slices uncooked bacon, chopped

1 small onion diced

2 green onions chopped

1 tablespoon tomato paste

1 head Romaine lettuce cored and chopped or grated

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

4 cups chicken broth

14 ounces canned diced tomatoes

1 dash crushed red pepper

1 cup half-and-half

3-4 tablespoons creme fraiche or mayo (mayo, if you like it sweeter)

salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup packaged croutons, slightly crushed for garnish

1 tablespoon slivered fresh basil leaves for garnish (optional)

Instructions:

In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium until shimmering. Add bacon pieces and cook until they begin to brown. Continue sauteeing to your desired level of crispiness. Add the green onions and onions cook until soft and translucent. Stir in the tomato paste and let heat for a minute or two to release its flavors.

Add the lettuce and tomatoes. When the lettuce begins to turn bright green, sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir well into the other ingredients. If the mixture is too dry or pasty, add a splash of the broth and mix to loosen.

Add the stock, crushed red pepper and a pinch of salt. Turn heat to medium-high and bring soup to a gentle boil. Then reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Turn heat to low.

Whisk the milk and 2 tablespoons of the creme fraiche in a small bowl. Add a ladle of soup into the dairy mixture and whisk until very smooth. Pour the tempered dairy mixture into the soup, blending well.

Ladle the soup into bowls, and swirl the remaining creme fraiche through the soup, topping with the crushed croutons and basil. Serve immediately.

Do not forget to have a SOUPER weekend! Cheers! 

7 comments:

  1. I love with a BLT lover...I'll show him this recipe.
    Sure does look very yummy
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. BLT Soup?? I think I'm in love! I'll be back to catch up on previous posts!

    I posted about nourishment for my N word (film's with nourishing food) and I've been hungry all day.

    I'm putting links on here so you'll know I'm legit, not "unknown".

    Movies reflect human needs: Nourishment

    Trudy @ Reel Focus

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've never had that before but there's nothing there to not like, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delightful. When i used to be able to eat meat, i really liked a double decker BLT with grilled onion and Swiss cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of this- it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathe,

    I love to smell bacon frying! When I was younger I really loved eating it but these days while I still enjoy the scent of bacon I prefer sausage. This does sound yummy,though.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will attempt to reply to each one. However, lately I have been getting "Unknown" comments that are linked to some sort of web page. I will never open this sort of comment and will immediately mark as spam. I am not interested in opening something that could be detrimental to my blog security etc. Never have enjoyed hackers! Thanks!