"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Poetry Jam February 26, 2014

The Little Engine that Could 
First published in the United States in 1930 

I think we all have known "Little Engines".
Friends or family members 
that don't take no for an answer
and do not let difficulties in life 
deter them from reaching their goals.
One of my nieces is definitely a 
"Little Engine that Could" .
So this is for her and all single moms:

Life is challenging
And you face it head on
With a smile for all
and love for your kids 

You turn dark nights
Into sunny days 
And while helping others
You make your way

We all are proud
Of who you are
What you have done
And who you will be
~~~~~~~~
Thanks to Mary for using
the theme of trains for this weeks theme.
You can see more here at 

Have a great week!

16 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. Some folks just can't seem to do anything. Well except complain at how unfair life is.

    Have a fabulous day honey. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... This is perfect Kathe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we all go through those tough spots...and we have to remember that if you just keep on...it wont last...like that little engine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your poem is a great compliment to your niece. I like how you have used different tenses in the last stanza. "You turn dark nights / Into sunny days " - we definitely need more people like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Up, up, all the way! Inspiring and cute poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I really like the book "Little Engine that Could," and I enjoyed the story about your niece. You made me think of people in my life who would be 'little engines' as well. We really should let people like your niece know that we are proud of them for overcoming challenges. I imagine YOU do. Smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful poetic atta-girl for your niece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've missed your posts while I was away. I loved trains when I was a kid, and I still love to hear them late at night when I'm in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. With an "I think I can" attitude she's going to make it just fine! Get her a copy of the book. Print up the poem, glue it to the inside - a nice mother's day gift to her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. People who are "Little Engines" inspire me to work harder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember that book from my childhood and think it may still be around--one of those childhood classics. And congrats to your niece!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful . . . we have to keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. my best wishes to all the little engines everywhere ... isn't it a great achievement of turning dark nights into sunny days..a wonderful write up..

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very charming poem and a really sweet "homage" - to a niece from an aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really nice feel to this that just brings a smile to my face, i can feel the warm glow of the trains engine. Great feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful message that story has given over the years ... and what a nice shout out to folks to never lose faith in themselves! Great piece!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will attempt to reply to each one. However, lately I have been getting "Unknown" comments that are linked to some sort of web page. I will never open this sort of comment and will immediately mark as spam. I am not interested in opening something that could be detrimental to my blog security etc. Never have enjoyed hackers! Thanks!