"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Thankful Thursday and the 2021 A to Z Challenge! April 1, 2021

I am so thankful for all the home made soups my mother made for all of us kids! This 2021 A to Z Challenge is dedicated to all the mothers who made such delicious meals for their families!  And we enjoyed those soups down to the last drop!


                              Warhol at the Grocery Store

Soup soup beautiful soup
Eat it with a spoon
Eat it with a scoop
Eat it with noodles
Share it with poodles
Empty up that can
Paint it like a man
That clever man Andy
He was so handy
With paint and brush
There was no rush
Who would have thought
That a can bought
Could bring such fame
To the Campbell name


A is for 

Acorn Squash Soup with Pistachios, Black Bread and Apples

Ingredients

1-2 pound acorn squash, halved lengthwise

3 teaspoons butter

1 large slice pumpernickel, cut into ¼-inch dice

1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced

2 tablespoons shelled pistachios

1 teaspoon light brown sugar

½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 quarts water

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.

Place the squash halves, cut-side down, on a baking sheet. Do not remove the seeds. Bake until the skin is blistered and the flesh is fork-tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 teaspoon of the butter. Add the bread and cook, stirring frequently, until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the bread to a medium bowl using a slotted spoon. Repeat with the apple, followed by the pistachios, sautéing until golden brown. Transfer to the bowl and toss together. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

Scoop the flesh and seeds from the squash and transfer them to a large bowl. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons butter, the sugar, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and water.

Working in batches, purée the mixture in a blender until smooth. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with the bread mixture.

Enjoy! 

PS  The silly poem was my creation way back in February 2012! 

15 comments:

  1. Funny, I have just never been a soup guy. I'll eat it once in a while, maybe turkey soup (from the leftover turkey) or clam chowder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww maybe next year I'll do cookies! Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. You could do an entire A-Z challenge with soup types! We totally forgot about the A-Z thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That one sure sounds yummy, soups are wonderful! Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE soup. This sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds so very good. I love homemade soup.

    Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday and a wonderful A-Z Challenge. Big hug to you both and lots of scritches to Miss Lucy. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathe I love your silly poem....noodle and poodles giggling
    I love all kinds of soup. Mother nature turned on us after a warm week. Supposed to be 29 tonight in Dixie. LOL We'll have our favorite sausage and spinach soup tomorrow.
    Hugs Cecilia
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to your A to Z of soups. Today's isn't for me though, I don't like squash in savories. Although, this recipe sounds pretty good with the apples and brown sugar! A bit like a pumpkin pie soup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I do love homemade soup! I look forward to more recipes (and maybe more silly poems!)
    Black and White: A for Atlantis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that poem! That recipe sounds delish too, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love soup so enjoyed this and your poem too. Thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Acorn Squash Soup is one of my favorites! I made it last week, but your recipe is going to be the next one I try. I love that it has apples in it! I can't wait for tomorrow! Have a marvellously happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy recipe and fun poem!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soup looks really great! Hoping your A to Z Challenge is a great one! Happy weekend to you and Lucy and your all your loved ones
    https://annesphamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soup is always good ~ great recipe ~ Xo

    Living Moment by Moment,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will attempt to reply to each one. However, lately I have been getting "Unknown" comments that are linked to some sort of web page. I will never open this sort of comment and will immediately mark as spam. I am not interested in opening something that could be detrimental to my blog security etc. Never have enjoyed hackers! Thanks!