"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Trips, Travel and Vacations

A lifetime gift for a child....... When I was only seven I received a wonderful gift

A small blue trunk - it wasn't too hard to lift

I looked inside and what did I see?

A doll ? And all her clothing ? This is for me?

"The heck with the doll" I said as I pitched her out.

"I want to use this for traveling here and about."

And so I began my imaginary trips

Packing clothes and stuff for cruises on ships.

Or maybe I'd take it on my little red wagon

Hoping to find a most friendly green dragon.

My small blue trunk was my way of learning

What life I wanted and obviously was yearning.

And years later I am still packing for pleasure

Traveling with my best friend- our life is an adventure!


Jingle said...

traveling with your love,
your spirits always sail above..

divine sentiments,
keep moving forward.


thingy said...

So beautiful.

This potluck is going to be an emotional one.

abthomas said...

Great piece,it must be so freeing to feel that anticipation of travel - usually my travel entails working up in the northern part of Canada and I don't see such lovely trees....

Red Hen (dette) said...

What a fabulous gift that was- mostly because of your wonderful imagination. Wishing you good health and contentment! You look content in the photo, how nice to have a good friend to share your adventures.

bendedspoon said...

wow that is so wonderful and fun! :)

fiveloaf said...

travel on haha! life's lesson reveal itself on the road.. my potluck- http://fiveloaf.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/frozen-fears/

lunawitch15 said...

oh how fun, that is wonderful!

Lyn said...

How charming..and I'm sure that it's very well used..lovely!!

jessicasjapes said...

I like the idea of ditching the doll and using the trunk! Nicely written.


M. A. S. said...

Very sweet. That must be a great memory!