"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Unecessary Demise of a Tree

Residents of Lake Oswego are well aware that last summer
the city spent an inordinate amount of money "beautifying"
the entry to the local municipal par 3 golf course.
Drought resistant natives were summarily ripped out
and annuals and plants needing irrigation were planted adjacent
to 3 lovely Manzanita trees.
I noticed that irrigation was put in place and daily watering
commenced. I called the Parks and Recreation department to
voice my concerns about the well being of the Manzanita trees
as it is well known that Manzanita trees require well drained soil
and will not thrive if over watered as they are very drought resistant.
I was assured that the watering was past the trees drip line.
This spring it was obvious that two of the three trees were dying.
I talked with one of the Parks Maintenance employees and he admitted
that indeed the city had "killed the trees by over watering".
A few weeks ago I saw that one of the trees had "disappeared".
It had been cut down. I never saw a notice of the potential removal
or permit posting and I go by this site several days a week.
So my question is this:
Is the city not required to follow the rules that we residents have to follow?
It seems to me that hypocrisy rules here in Lake Oswego.
Below are photos of what is left.








Entry to golf course- note annuals in lower right corner.







One of the remaining Manzanita trees.
Even though it is now October the irrigation is still turned on.
This Manzanita tree is very stressed and may not live another year.







A picture is worth a thousand words.
No permit was ever observed before the tree was removed.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." Albert Einstein

2 comments:

  1. So sad and stupid. I'm so sorry. This was my folks home for decades and I'm sorry to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another example of political negligence! Sorry to see such wonderful things be killed off.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will attempt to reply to each one. However, lately I have been getting "Unknown" comments that are linked to some sort of web page. I will never open this sort of comment and will immediately mark as spam. I am not interested in opening something that could be detrimental to my blog security etc. Never have enjoyed hackers! Thanks!