"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Friday, July 26, 2013

Poetry Jam July 26, 2013 The Year 1985


1985
The year before 1986
The year I lost three
So much pain inflicts 
Emotions at sea
Abandoned by death
and negligence
I could hardly take a breath
Sorrow so pendulous
As the timeless clock ticked  
I began to breathe
And life again clicked 
I began to believe 
In myself 
And in life


Go to Poetry Jam for more takes on 1985 : 


8 comments:

Mary said...

Some years are very memorable, for better or for worse. It sounds like 1985 was one of those years for you. It is so important to believe in yourself, and I am glad you do...again!

Sandee said...

It's hard to lose loved ones, but we must continue on. Life is for the living.

Very well done.

Have a terrific day. Big hugs. ☺

Helen said...

When poetry comes from a place, pain this deep ... it hurts to read the words.

Amazing write, Kathe.

Stephen Hayes said...

!985 does not sound like a good year for you.

Brian Miller said...

oh...that one is hard...like a punch in the gut...to lose one much less three...hugs...i am glad you found life again though....

Myrna R. said...

This sounds so sad. I hope it's not biographical. Thanks for visiting my blog.

messymimi said...

Everyone has a year like that, i think -- it makes or breaks us. It made you.

Laurie Kolp said...

Oh, how tragic... that year will never be forgotten.