"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Sunday, April 21, 2013

Magpie Tales #165 Sorrow



Monhegan's Schoolteacher, 2004 by Jamie Wyeth


She reads by the window 
By the window's moonlight
 Moonlight in cold limbo
In cold limbo she savors 
She savors those words
Those words with a bite
A bite brings sad thoughts
Sad thoughts of tomorrow
Of tomorrow and the cold snow
The cold snow that will cover
Will cover her sorrow


After the Snowstorm-January 18, 2013


Thanks to Tess Kincaid for this
 evocative image by Jamie Wyeth.
To read how others saw this image go here:
and to see more Shadow Shot Sundays go here:

18 comments:

anthonynorth said...

Great repetition in this.

Sandee said...

Very well done. As always. You really have a way with words.

Have a fabulous day. :)

Stephen Hayes said...

I haven't seen much of Jamie's work lately. I wonder if this piece is finished. If so its interesting how he's leaving portions of the composition so sketchy. As always your wonderful words perfectly reflect the image.

mizquickly said...

Neat, that looping repetition.
Good sounds.

Stafford Ray said...

I can't see the sorrow. I see hair fresh from the shower, toast in her mouth and the book for swotting up on the day's lesson material.
But I guess she might be sorry she took the booking to sit for Jamie in the window, forgetting at the time it would be winter!

messymimi said...

A book can set you free from your sorrows -- but only for a little while.

Helen said...

No time for snowy contemplation! Spring is springing????

Kutamun said...

How poignant. Its just a matter of time until we get a snowstorm in Australia in january

izzy said...

Yes covering sorrow with snow- good
plan!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

A book can be such a great escape from our sorrows and from everyday life. Beautifull written my friend.

Jinksy said...

Stafford Ray has left a comment which leaves me speechless, but in agreement! LOL

Kathe W. said...

Jinksy- I loved Stafford's comment-and replied to him thus:

Stafford- I know what you are saying....and I like your take on the painting....sometimes I really dont know where I am going til I am there! Good to hear from you- hope all is well on your side of the planet! Cheers

gautami tripathy said...

Wonderful writing....as always...

in naked glory, I forget myself

Kay said...

such sweet sorrow...loved it..x

Tess Kincaid said...

I also savor cold limbo...

Karen S. said...

Oh for the sorrow of it all.... A refreshing twist, and an excellent write you offer! Thank you.

Lyn said...

Great poignancy in this...the repetition justifies itself...superb!

Lydia said...

I think this is my favorite piece of your writing, Kathe. What a poignant take on the painting, made all the more so by this remarkable photo of Shasta-Buddha. Great post!