"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw
"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Sunday, October 14, 2012

MIdnight Smackrel - Magpie #139

Midnight Snack, 1984, by Curtis Wilson Cost


Silently stepping down the back stairs
Carefully on the side of the treads
No little squeaks to awaken the bears 
Let alone my brothers-those sleepy heads 
I loved those quiet times by myself
Just me and the sleeping house
I'd curl up with cookies and a book
Happy and content as a little mouse.

~~~~~~~~
Thanks to Tess Kincaid for Magpie Tales
and for more views of this quiet image go here:




  

20 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

Willow Manor creaks, too...I've learned exactly where to step in the night...

Grace said...

I like those quiet times too, content as a little mouse looks good to me ~

Laurie Kolp said...

What a treasure!

Berowne said...

Vive la nostalgie..!

Stephen Hayes said...

A lovely feeling of contentment and serenity.

messymimi said...

How did you know? All this time, i thought it was my secret. ;)

Dana Dampier said...

Those quiet moments alone with a book are too be treasured forever!

anthonynorth said...

Excellent words for the prompt.

Jinksy said...

I have creaky stairs too - nightmare when guests are staying! LOL

Helen said...

The beginning of an adorable book for children? Love this Kathe!!

Kay said...

so so lovely!!!

Linda said...

I enjoyed the idea that the house was sleeping. I also liked the idea of following familiar paths around a house that only the family who inhabit the house know about and cherish. Lovely, Kathe. Thank you for sharing. =D

Little Nell said...

Oh the delicious naughtiness of it!

Kathe W. said...

Little Nell et al
it was lovely indeed- especially if I had a friend or cousin over- then we'd be silently mucking about in the kitchen...***in he middle of the night- once we got caught making a sweet souffle- we ot to polish silver the next day- kind of like Brer Rabbit ( "Oh no Brer Fox don't throw me in the briar patch" ) tho as we loved to polish silver!
***and just HOW do 12 year olds "silently muck about" in a kitchen anyhow...what were we thinking?

Kutamun said...

There is a definite warmth to this .....

Carrie Burtt said...

A wonderful contentment Kathe!

Sue said...

A lovely shot of nostalgia.

=)

Tumblewords: said...

Ah, the great cosy. Love it, love it!

Lyn said...

I feel so happy reading this..wonderful!

~T~ said...

You wouldn't want to share with those bears, now, would you? Fun memory!