"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Sunday, October 07, 2012

MagpieTales #138

Sick Woman by Jan Steen

You are working too hard the doctor said
It's no wonder you have such a pain in your head
No more countless cups of coffee for you
And staying up all night- well that's completely through
You may think that the lute is a fine career
But you would be better off working for Vermeer
~~~~~~~

Thank to Tess Kincaid of MagpieTales 
who provides a new image as a writing challenge for us
To see more go here:
http://magpietales.blogspot.com

 

21 comments:

  1. Sometimes I feel like that... = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES Vermeer! Great idea- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you suggesting she has a career as a model? And you are right, a musicians life is coffee, late nights and not much money! Loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he may have other motives as well! tee-hee !Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your poem. And I see the connection to Vermeer. But this woman is very well-dressed to be sick. I think she's pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must know a musician well. But i know a few myself and can tell you, sometimes, it's not just the coffee and late nights.

    Good take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the love of coffee, long nights and coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always a good post from Kathe W...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathe, spot on!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow what a real iamge

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does look a bit like the "Girl with the Pearl Earing"..maybe she took that job after all...very nice..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very clever. Good work here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too cute....love this Kathe!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A witty poem Kathe, especially drawing a comparison with Vermeer (mind you I think Jan Steen was a bit more jolly).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitiely snappy repartee, this week Kathe and I love it! Brilliant!! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Time to hang up the lute, eh? Nice prescription.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 'Twas a heavy lute, too, if I may say. A delightful piece, well tuned!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will attempt to reply to each one. However, lately I have been getting "Unknown" comments that are linked to some sort of web page. I will never open this sort of comment and will immediately mark as spam. I am not interested in opening something that could be detrimental to my blog security etc. Never have enjoyed hackers! Thanks!