Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Friday, February 12, 2010
- butter a 9x4x3 inch loaf pan
- take one cantalope size piece of the Buttermilk dough
- dust it with a bit of flour and quickly shape into a ballby stretching the surface of the dough around thebottom on all four sides-rotating 1/4 turn as you go
- with a rolling pin roll out the flour dusted dough to 8"x16"
- beat an egg with 1 T water and wash lightly over dough
- sprinkle 1/3 cup sugar mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon over dough
- sprinkle 3/4 cup raisins evenly over dough
- rollup dough from short side jelly roll style- pinch edges and sides together- tucking the ends under
- place the loaf seam side down in the prepared pan and let rest for 1hr 40min
- preheat oven to 375 and bake for 35-40min
- allow to cool (if you can wait) before slicing....YUM
Friday, February 05, 2010
Bacon and Spicy Mac 'n Cheese with Cauliflower
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- 4 thick slices of smoky bacon chopped into 1/4" dice
- 1 head cauliflower trimmed and cut into bite size florets
- salt and pepper
- 4 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 3 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese-divided
- 3 rounded Tablespoons spicy hot mustard (or horseradish)
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or scallion tops
Bring a large pot of water to boil. While the water comes up to a boil, heat a bit of olive oil in a small skillet over medium-hi heat. Add the bacon and crisp-5 minutes. Drain on paper towel and reserve. Salt the boiling water and add the cauliflower. Cook for 4-5 min-remove from the pot with a strainer and reserve the pot of boiling water. Run the strainer of cauliflower under cold water to stop cooking process. Place a medium size pot over med heat. Melt butter and whisk in the flour. Cook for 1 min, then whisk in milk and seaon with salt ,pepper and nutmeg. Cook for a couple of minutes until thickened. Preheat the broiler. Drop the pasta in the same boiling water you used for the cauliflower and cook til just shy of al dente. While the pasta cooks, remove the sauce from the heat and add 2/3 of the shredded cheese and the mustard or horseradish to taste, the bacon and chives/scallion tops. Stir to combine. Drain the pasta over the cauliflower to reheatwith the hot water. Place the pasta and the cauliflower in the hot pot and add the cheese sauce. Stir to combine. Transfer to a baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Place under the broiler to brown the top. Serve with a spinach salad and some crusty bread. Enjoy!
in North Portland.
YUM! and very easy!